Sunday 6 October 2013

PARALLEL GUIDE OF JIGSAW & CIRCULAR SAW AND ELECTRIC PLANNER ETC
DIY MODIFICATION FOR MAKING THE GUIDE MORE ACCURATE & STABLE.

MOST of us have many Power Tools, which comes with, a parallel Guide which would get attached to the tool, by fastening a few screws. But, it has been the experience of most of us that the guide wont give support from the beginning to the end of the cut, which would give a snipe free cut. 

I have been thinking about this problem, why it happens, it happens because the tool base which has to complete the journey across the wood being cut, is longer than the face of the guide which holds the wood.
Then, solution was simple, make the face of the guide, longer than the base plate of the tool, to which it get attached. Easier said than done. Problem is getting a straight edge and perfect 90 degree sides to attach to the parallel guide. and I found that 8020 Aluminum extrusion which I have of various lengths for my prototyping experiments, is the best. 


I noticed that most of the parallel guides, have one or two holes predrilled on the face and my 8020 can be fastened to the face, in such a way that the guide would be firmly placed on the edge of the wood being cut, much before the blade is any where near the cutting line and the guide would remain firmly against the edge, till the blade leaves the piece, after completed the cut. Though, I had T bolts and nuts to fasten the Extrusion to the face of guide, I made it much simpler, by using a two sided foam tape of 3M.  

I am sharing a photo of the guide of my Einhell Red Jigsaw, with the extrusion of 300mm long attached to it, with a 3M double sided tape. i have also closed all the T slots, with plastic covers, which comes for that purpose, so that the slots would not get clogged with saw dust.  My Einhell Red Circular Saw, pararrle guide, has been similarly modified using a 500mm extrusion, as the base plate of circular saw is much longer than 300mm and the blade of circular saw has to be guided till it totally leaves the surface after completing the cut.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment